There are many reasons to be a members of the Orleans Yacht Club, and, as any current member can tell you, membership is an active part of their lives. As a 501(c)7 not-for-profit organization, the Club relies heavily on volunteerism by its members. By participating in the Club's functioning, members have a great sense of ownership in "their" Club.
The OYC is an organization that would appeal to a wide array of people, with a variety of interests. The Club is, of course, a sailing/boating club, and is one of the primary reasons to join. Club membership, however, also provides full access to all the activities the Club has to offer, such as:
- Sailing and boating programs, including Adult sailing (free courses are available), a Junior Sailing Program and Fleet 15 racing on Sundays. There is also a Club managed mooring area available to members.
- Access to the OYC Clubhouse, where you can relax and enjoy the company of friends, and make new friends, while enjoying the beautiful view of Town Cove.
- Participation in a robust, year-round social program. (Friday night cocktail parties, clambakes, BBQs, a Progressive Dinner, a New Year's Eve party, and a July 4th picnic, just to name a few).
- Wednesday night suppers during the Fall, Winter and Spring, reservations required. During the summer, Wednesday night are more casual, where you can bring your own dinner, hors d'oeuvres, or take-out to enjoy, while sitting out under the tent.
- A summer lunch program offering sandwiches, salads and light meals under the tent, overlooking Town Cove
- The ability of Club members to rent the Club at very competitive rates, for weddings, birthday parties and other approved events.
- Reciprocity through Yachting Club of America, with most member yacht clubs in the U.S. and across the world.
The Club has five categories of membership: Senior (ages 51 and up), Emeritus (must be 75 years old and have been an OYC member for 10 years), Senior Corinthian (ages 41-50), Corinthian (ages 21-40), and Life Membership (OYC membership for 50 years or a Commodore who has been a member for 25 years). Each category is limited to a maximum number of members. This number may fluctuate periodically. Only the Senior and Life Memberships have voting privileges.
A membership of any type represents a married couple or a single individual.
There are two additional membership classes:
Junior memberships are available to those under 21 years of age and are automatic for children participating in the OYC's Junior Sailing Program. Junior OYC members are given priority to become Corinthian members upon attaining the age of 21. Junior members have no voting power and pay no dues.
Racing Associate Membership: Any person 21 years of age or more, who owns or has use of a class sailboat currently raced at the Club or is a crew member. Sponsorship by two (2) current Club members in good standing and approval by the Commodore is required. This membership entitles the Racing Associate to participate in Club sponsored Sunday races, use of the Club facilities during the racing season and participation in Sunday night Fleet 15 cookouts. The annual dues for this Membership is currently $50 per year. Racing Associates have no voting power.
BECOME AN OYC MEMBER!
If you are interested in joining the OYC, please contact a current club member for details. Applications for memberships are currently being accepted.